T's Reviews > Maybe This Time

Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie

Jul 07, 2012

bookshelves: romance
Read in July, 2012

Another great Jennifer Crusie novel. I finished this one in a night, then passed it on to my mother. As always, Crusie's novel features a strong, hilarious, and very natural heroine.... and a bunch of crazy people that are more or less her family. This book, unlike others that I've read, involves a supernatural element. It's actually very scary (though I suppose I should say I don't read horror books), but at the same time subverts the traditional ghost story tropes. (For example, the heroine demands a seance but in the most strident and no-nonsense terms possible. Meanwhile, the psychic medium is about as jaded as a True Believer can be.)

Something that I love about all Crusie's novels is that they don't employ the Pointless Argument between the romantic leads to drum up tension. There are a couple of moments in the book where the heroine essentially says, "This is crazy but back me up," and the hero says, "You got it," no questions asked. I vastly prefer that to, "Let's pause in the midst of a fast-moving plot where people's lives are at stake and talk about US."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maybe This Time.