Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)'s Reviews > Circle of Fire

Circle of Fire by Keri Arthur

Aug 07, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, australian, paranormal, urban-fantasy, library, setting-australia
Read from July 08 to 09, 2012 , read count: 1

Plot summary: Teenagers are vanishing, and turning up completely drained of blood. When recluse Maddie Smith's nephew goes missing, she has to learn to overcome her fear of her own abilities, and work with the mysterious Jon Barnett, who is more than he seems. Can they find Maddie's nephew before the new moon?

Thoughts: Meh. Unlike Arthur's other series, this one is set in the US, so there was less of a connection for me. I found it kind of difficult to believe that Maddie would so quickly accept the paranormal, and her own abilities. Yes, she's a pyrokenetic, and has been all her life (though her father thought she was a freak and forced her to hide her abilities). And she's also a clairvoyant (really???). But for Jon to be all "Oh, hey. So shapeshifters and vampires and ghosts and wraiths and sorcerers and witches are all real", and for Maddie to go "Oh, okay. That makes sense!", just seemed a little odd.

Look, it was okay. But the story was far more about the sexual tension between Jon and Maddie than it was about looking for her nephew or trying to stop an evil black magic practitioner. I borrowed the next book in the series from the library at the same time as this one, so we'll see if the series gets any better. I'm not holding my breath though...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circle of Fire.

07/07 page 60
20.0% "Uh, I'm no expert, but even I know there are TWO weeks between the full moon and the new moon, not one. Surely that's basic research??"
04/22 marked as: read