Meg's Reviews > The Kingdom on the Waves

The Kingdom on the Waves by M.T. Anderson

F_50x66
Jul 07, 12

Read from July 02 to 07, 2012

I think I got much more of the slavery vibe from this sequel. While the first book was a very good book, the slavery perspective really didn't completely come in to play until pretty late in the book. In this respect [slavery] the prequel was a sort of introduction or exposition - really quite essential in getting to know the main character and his past, which always has some figure into the man he is when grown up - to the grand theme, which was much more played upon in The Kingdom on the Waves. Different to Laurie Halse Anderson's Chains series, The Kingdom on the Waves mainly featured the Loyalist Army's point of view, particularly a regiment wholly comprised of Negros called the Ethiopian Royal Regiment, which I had never heard of. Of course, when reading Historical Fiction you must remember that it a fictual piece, based (loosely or tightly) on actual events, and that not everything can be credible as true history. At the same time, however, authors who write historical fiction must do a great amount of research on the subject, and so much can be learned from these stories. I also enjoy reading afterwords from these authors explaining what they discovered in their research and how it played into what they wrote.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom on the Waves.