Emma Sea's Reviews > Circuit Theory

Circuit Theory by Kirby Crow

Jul 07, 2012

bookshelves: probably-not

Holy wow, this is a cool idea for a book. I hope it's good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circuit Theory.

message 1: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve I saw a PBS documentary about virtual worlds and people who spend hours in them every day - it was fascinating!

message 2: by Emma Sea (new) - added it

Emma Sea I saw this British doco a few years back: it is fascinatating. Was the PBS one like this? In 1997 I took a week of annual leave, to spend the whole time on ICQ (when it was still Israeli-owned) and mIRC. I think that was a good cure for any hankering to live in the virtual world.

However, I spent 4 hours on Goodreads this morning: I don't know what happened, but suddenly it was 2pm.

message 3: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve The BBC doco is cool...the one I saw had these virtual worlds with really cool avatars. All the frumpy real life people were uber-skinny tall teenagers with great hairdos and they led angsty virtual existences full of brooding by the seashore and playing masterpieces on the piano. They would meet up with each other and have meaningful encounters where they sat together in silence..

message 4: by Emma Sea (last edited Jul 07, 2012 11:14PM) (new) - added it

Emma Sea Eve wrote: "The BBC doco is cool...the one I saw had these virtual worlds with really cool avatars. All the frumpy real life people were uber-skinny tall teenagers with great hairdos and they led angsty virtu..."

Aaaahahahaha. That's awesome! Oh for someone to sit in brooding silence with! I totally understand the appeal. I would love to have someone just to sit in readerly coffee-imbibing silence with.

If I had an online avatar I wouldn't want to be a human at all. I'd pick an echidna or a numbat or something cool. Or an ambulatory trilobite.

EDIT: pic of numbat being cool

Ayanna It is good. I am very, very put off by where it ended. I, as the unreasonable reader, demand not just more, but a definite HEA and not the HFN crap you authors think you can spew at us D:<

message 6: by Emma Sea (last edited Apr 04, 2013 11:54PM) (new) - added it

Emma Sea I ended up getting put off by the reviews. Do you think it's worth reading?

Ayanna I haven't read any other reviews. I thought it was - it explored some interesting ideas and I thought worked the world rather well, although I have a couple questions regarding the technicalities of the interface - but it DOES end with an HFN.

Ayanna Oh. Yeah, it does leave a lot unsaid, but I think it was purposeful and there's enough for you to construct enough of an idea of the rest of whatever to focus on the whole "in-game" stuff the authors were trying to convey.