Kaitlyn's Reviews > Dark Places

Aug 09, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, 21st-century, mystery-thriller, women-behaving-badly
Read from July 30 to August 09, 2012

This is the only Flynn novel not told entirely in the first person. It suffers for that, I think. When at the end of the first chapter, Libby snidely notes that everyone wants to know the mother of the killer, I got a kind of sick thrill from finding Patty Day in the heading of the next chapter. I did want to see her story a little bit.

And Patty was arguably the most interesting character. I never felt as though I heard enough from Libby to see her as the messed up trauma survivor she was meant to be. She was our lens but never much more than that. We see her steal, we know she's depressed, but it's all (for the most part) a little bit beside the point. Patty, meant I think to be Libby's parallel, ends up the star character in a way that's really disconcerting when we're pushed so far from her with narrative device and time. I wanted to be inside someone's head. And I kind of wanted it to be Patty's.

What I love about Flynn is her unsettling ability to get into the heads of really, really terrible women. The problem here is (view spoiler)

I enjoyed this book enough but I missed the obsession with Flynn's other books. The dirty compulsion that kept making me come back. That feeling where I knew who did it but it was still early in the story, Flynn wasn't going to let me feel right about knowing who did it. I wanted to be an active participant, I wanted to be turned upside down and inside out. Instead, I felt as though I was passively following Libby through an investigation where the stakes were low and everything was expected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Places.

07/30/2012 "Such a Gillian Flynn kick this month."