Sophie B's Reviews > It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

F 50x66
Jul 07, 12

First of all, I'd just like to say that this is a book about a suicidal teenager, and that this is a very hard subject to stomach, let alone to write about, but Ned Vizzini does it beautifully.

The book is divided into ten parts. the first four are about Craig's life before the hospital. This I found was the hardest part of the book to read, you see Craig just spiraling downward, from being compared to his ever so perfect best friend, to lusting after the girl he can never have, you begin to understand where the anxiety comes from. Vizzini doesn't sugarcoat it, that's for sure, but at the same time, it wasn't quite depressing .

But once Craig gets into the hospital, the magic really begins.
One thing I look for in a book is a well rounded character. This is possibly the only thing that can make up for a crappy plot line. This book was full of 'em. From the burnt out acid addict, Solomon ("He did a few hundred tabs and blew his pupils out. His eyeballs are permanently dilated") to Jimmy the schizophrenic, i fell in love with each and every one of them.

To summarize, this isn't really a book about depression so much as one about finding your 'Anchors', as Craig calls them; the things that make you happy and eliminating everything else. It will have tears springing to your eyes and have you chuckling happily to yourself. It's just the kind of book with that effect.

I would recommend this book for anyone 14 and up as there is some sexual content, drug use and mild language. Although I think any YA loving adult would like this, it's much more targeted towards teenagers.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Kind of a Funny Story.