Beth Withers's Reviews > The Reluctant Matchmaker

The Reluctant Matchmaker by Shobhan Bantwal

Jul 07, 12

Read in July, 2012

The main character, Meena, is an Indian American who has a mind of her own despite cultural traditions. She does an unusual favor for her boss, who is also Indian, and in the process finds herself in a rather uncomfortable situation. This romantic novel revolves around Meena trying to follow the desires of her own heart while still being mindful of the culture she treasures. While this book is a romance, one of the things I particularly enjoyed about it was getting to know something of one part of the Indian culture here in the US. I knew next to nothing about the culture, and I found myself going to the Internet frequently to learn more about what I was reading. I truly liked Meena as a character and was happy with the ending. I like her respect for her family while remaining her own person. This novel was an excellent summertime read since it isn't a deep, dark, serious novel with a complicated plot structure. Read this for pleasure and for gaining an appreciation for a culture that is unfamiliar to most of us.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Matchmaker.