LoudVal's Reviews > When You Were Mine

When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: fya-bookclub
Read from July 07 to 08, 2012

3.5 stars (but I only want to give it 3 actual stars because I don't want to unfairly skew the rating system above)

This book hit me in the way that being smarter than your average 17-yo self hits when you look back, thinking you were better than that, and realising you really weren't, especially when comparing yourself to the 17-yo gaggle of girls that just got on the bus and are REALLY irritating you and your fellow commuters by talking too loud and just being glaringly 17-yo.

Not a great book by any means, but my breath catches thinking about some scenes. I like the idea, and I'm obviously moved by the outcome. I enjoyed hearing Rosaline's side, even this modern-day fabrication. I think Len is hella self-preserved for a 17-yo boy. I think her friends are exactly the type of girl friends you want to have at that age (and, upon looking back, realise that I did.) It's not easy being 17-yo. Anyone who was once that age understands perfectly, whether you grew up in the 70s, 80s, or whenever.

And I love that fact that the narrative wasn't bogged down by having to hear Juliet or Rob's side, cos, hey, you can read the play. Fact is (and I'm paraphrasing here): Destiny only gets you so far. Fate may decide to start you off somewhere, but you decide where you're going, to work out your own ending. Exactly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Were Mine.