Whitney's Reviews > Heart of the Matter

Jul 07, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: super-hyped-so-i-read-it
Read from July 07 to 23, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Tessa is married to Dr. Nick Russo, a fantastic pediatric plastic surgeon at Shriner's Hospital in Boston. Valerie's son was involved in an accident and is being treated by Tessa's husband. Their lives intersect in a way neither of them could have planned...

This is the third book I've read by Emily Giffin. She's a chick-lit author, but tackles bigger issues than shopping, fashion and partying. This book features {spolier alert!} a cheating doctor husband, issues within marriages, working women vs. SAHM, divorce and women who seemingly "have it all."

I think the basic premise of the story is stereotypical, but Giffin nailed the complex issues of Doctor wiving right on the head. Tessa trying to balance her life, struggling to see where her husband fits in and fighting Dr. Wife stereotypes. Giffin does a great job developing her characters. I hated Valerie and felt really sorry for her all at once. I wish we would have gotten to see Nick's point of view and to see what motivated him. He didn't get very much time...only what was seen through either Tessa and Valerie's eyes. I wanted him to explain himself since he never really did, even in the end! I also would love to see what motivated him to hang out with Valerie and her child all.the.time. instead of hanging out with his own family. It really bother me that he was so willing and happy around Valerie and then when around Tessa the only glimpse we get of his is being a guilty grouch. My guess is he is somewhere in between and I think it would have added to the story to "see" who Nick is on the inside.

Also, who takes back a cheating husband after two weeks like, "la, la, la everything will be better NOW"? Watching TV and reading books has taught me this is a recipe for disaster.

{Dex and Rachel are in this book for anyone who read Something Borrowed.}

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of the Matter.