Emily Gardner's Reviews > Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Wasted by Marya Hornbacher

Oct 28, 08

bookshelves: biography, social-science
Read in March, 1998, read count: too many to count

This is one of my favorite books--I find it very cathartic. For someone who is struggling with an eating disorder, I can see how it could be very triggering--her account is no-holds barred, graphic, and loaded with the things she did. For people who are just trying to understand, or who have their own food issues (but do not border on eating disorder terrain) the fun-house mirrored ride through which she takes us is very well-written, horrifying and heart-wrenching.

As I said, I personally find it cathartic. Several passages I relate to personally; though I do not have an eating disorder, as a woman in a disordered culture, I relate. There are certain passages that put things into perspective for me. I could (and have!) read this book over and over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wasted.

Quotes Emily Liked

Marya Hornbacher
“This is the weird aftermath, when it is not exactly over, and yet you have given it up. You go back and forth in your head, often, about giving it up. It’s hard to understand, when you are sitting there in your chair, having breakfast or whatever, that giving it up is stronger than holding on, that “letting yourself go” could mean you have succeeded rather than failed. You eat your goddamn Cheerios and bicker with the bitch in your head that keeps telling you you’re fat and weak: Shut up, you say, I’m busy, leave me alone. When she leaves you alone, there’s a silence and a solitude that will take some getting used to. You will miss her sometimes...There is, in the end, the letting go.”
Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia