Anna's Reviews > Prozac Nation

Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel

Jul 27, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: autobios-bios-memoirs, psychology

I love how people somehow think depression is about being privilegied or not. It's a chemical imbalance, and it happens regardless of money, status or skills.
It's not like having the blues which you can shop your way out of!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prozac Nation.

02/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Amen!

message 2: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona Moon I agree with your point of view, just wanted to add that the chemical imbalance thing is not proven yet, people don't know much about what happens inside the depressed brain.

Ellis *a girl with kaleidoscope eyes* Depression is like falling into a black hole; it's not your fault you fell in, and after a while, you give up trying to get out.

Lisa Thank you for saying that! I wish the whole world would think about depression like you and accept the fact that it is an illness of the mind and not a chosen lifestyle. Depression is the most lonesome illness in my opinion. If people would just do an effort to understand and be open-minded and break the taboo, a lot of lives could be saved. Thanks to Virginia Woolf I learn to accept and acknowledge that 'each life has its place'. Keep being the wise girl, Anna! Love xx

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Depression has never been proved to be a chemical imbalance. There is no test to measure one's serotonin.

message 6: by Nick (new) - rated it 1 star

Nick You are such a moron, obviously zero grasp of neurobiology, depression for the most part has nothing to do with chemical imbalance. it has to do with pain and suffering. obviously too abstract for your feeble mind to grasp.

this book is a jumble of pathetic whiney garbage, and anyone thinking anything of it is obviously just as vain and conceded as the pathetic author. if only she had killed herself and saved the world from wasted time reading the book, and wasted trees to print this piece of shit.

Kris Chemical imbalance or not - the depressed brain is far less active compared to a full functional person's brain. This has been proven by MRIs. Depression alters your brain and lowers the functionality. The fact that people can be so rude, and discard depression is to me completely ignorant.

message 8: by Tia (new) - rated it 1 star

Tia Wow, Nick sounds like an amazing, compassionate human being. I hope he breeds.

Anna I would have phrased it differently if I had reviewed this book today, because I think we know more. But the gist of it still remains- it is about chemical imbalance which causes pain and suffering which further fucks up the chemicals in our brain.
And btw Nick, I have suffered from it. But I assume that as a troll, compassion is not your cup.