Mike's Reviews > The Driver's Seat

The Driver's Seat by Muriel Spark

Nov 24, 08

Read in November, 2008

This book is loco, man. We're talking Miss Lonelyhearts-loco, Lime Twig-loco, Violent Bear It Away-loco. A death-haunted fever dream that hits you like absinthe and leaves you wide-eyed and paranoid. Loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Driver's Seat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Muriel Spark is ever surprising. I love some of her books...they are all so different. Am not familiar with this one. So it's on my to-read list now...

Mike I hope you like it, Jessica! It reminded me at times of Jane Bowles and Anna Kavan, two writers I see we share an affection for.

Jessica It's so odd how she can write like those two and then write like some very different English author, witty but removed...not feverish as you suggest. You mention 'The Lime Twig'--a book I own but haven't yet read.

Mike "The Lime Twig" is one of my favorite novels. Like "The Driver's Seat", you "suffer it like a dream" (Flannery O'Connor's phrase). Lise reminded me at times like a crazier version of the female protagonists of Kavan's "Ice" and Bowles' "Two Serious Ladies." The prose is confident, the dialogue twitchy, the voice ironic, the vision horrifying.

message 5: by Jessica (last edited Nov 24, 2008 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica 'twitchy dialogue'...now there's a phrase.
Okay, you have me convinced.
(and the to-read list grows ever longer... but at least that's one book I own. Only where is it at? since I moved...)

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam Lime Twig is amazing, a Graham Greene thriller that sinks into a surreal nightmare. The beating scene will haunt me forever. Why did you have to compare this book to Bowles, West, Hawk, Kavan, and O'Conner? Should have dropped at least one from that list so I didn't have to rush out and find this.
-Adam

Mike I apologize for nothing.

message 8: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Mike wrote: "I hope you like it, Jessica! It reminded me at times of Jane Bowles and Anna Kavan, two writers I see we share an affection for. "

Anna Kavan is sublime!

Mike No argument here, Moira.

message 10: by Erik (new) - added it

Erik There was actually a film version of this made back in the '70s with Elizabeth Taylor of all people as the protagonist. You make the book sound much more interesting, though.

message 11: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Wow, I had no idea. I'd be interested in seeing that.

message 12: by Erik (new) - added it

Erik It's not exactly a "hidden treasure" or anything, and you'll probably find it quite disappointing compared to the book, but it may be worth it if you occasionally like some campy, arty trash in your film intake.