Philip E.'s Reviews > One Mississippi

One Mississippi by Mark Childress

M_50x66
Jul 07, 12

Read in July, 2012

I borrowed this book from my daughter. She did not like it. As I read, I thought it was one of those "coming of age" books for teens. I was wrong. The protagonist is a high school junior, but the book is way beyond teen reading. It hurts to read it. Set in Mississippi in the 70's it reopened for me a time when I was in college, seminary and starting my ministry. Raw language. X-rated in parts. You have been warned.

This book reminds me that my life has been easy compared to many of my fellow Americans. Racial issues are realistically portrayed. If you choose to read this, be ready for every difficult emotion and choice from high school (even if it wasn't your experience, you know someone or have read about someone who lived this.)

I was sad to see how ineffective the Church was in the lives of the main characters. There, yes, but not as a part of the solution.

After reading this book I am reminded how blessed I am to have my family, my church, my Christian schools and friends and my life. WOW!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Mississippi.