Paul Dembina's Reviews > Black Jack, Vol. 1

M 50x66
Jul 07, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

I wasn't particularly looking forward to reading this but as our Graphic Novel reading group were going to be discussing it decided to give it my best shot.

Almost gave up after the 1st chapter as I found the abrupt changes in tone rather odd (but then I should be used to that now after having read a bit of Mange and watched a fair amount of Anime).

Anyway, I read to the end of this volume. Still not really my cup of tea. Tezuka's often has oddly androgonous male characters. I already came across this with the main character in MW and here on at least 2 occasions there were characters I initially assumed to be women who turned out to be male (the painter and the sushi chef). This ambiguity about identity (or at least dicussion of it) was a definite theme here as Black Jack carries out operations where the very identity of a person can be called into question. Plus we also have a robot who thinks he(or is it a she?) thinks it is human.

So some interesting stuff around that but in the end the swithces from often quite serious topics into cartoon slapstick and comedy did rankle a little.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Jack, Vol. 1.