Sienna H's Reviews > The Glass Castle

Mrs Ebarvia
World Literature
10/21/08
The Glass Castle Book Review
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls is a spectacular memoir. Jeanette Walls is a journalist and creative writer. She is one of four siblings and graduated from Barnard College. Her memoir, The Glass Castle, is being made into a movie. Her novel starts by explaining the typical ways of her poor family. She travels from place to place living in poor homes or in the family car. Her family finally ends up in Welch, West Virginia where she starts to learn how hard life can be especially when she is considered the minority.
The novel was interesting because of the characterization of her family. Her family was very different from many that I consider normal today. Jeanette’s father is an extreme alcoholic that spends most of their income on alcohol and cigarettes. The way that Jeanette describes her father is one thing that made the novel hard to put down. Even though Jeanette’s father was an alcoholic, she still loves him and knows that he is very intelligent. Another thing that was interesting to me was the many different obstacles she has to deal with. For example, she had to learn to take care of herself and her siblings because her parents were too selfish and dysfunctional. Also, she has to work at an early age because her parents do not pay the rent for housing or buy food and clothing for themselves or their children. These things really caught my attention while reading the memoir.
To make the novel more interesting, Jeanette Walls should have shared her feelings more often. While reading the book, I wanted to know how she was feeling after some of her hardships. Jeanette does explain what happens and I can sometimes infer some of her feelings but I wish she would actually explain exactly how she felt about some situations. For example, her mother wouldn’t get a job because she was too wrapped in becoming an artist. I wanted to see how Jeanette feels about taking responsibility for her family and why she allows her mother do whatever she wanted. By adding Jeanette’s personal thoughts, it would help the reader to understand the novel better.
Regardless of its weaknesses, I really enjoyed the novel. The Glass Castle was well-written and interesting to read. Anyone who enjoys reading novels about different kinds of people would love to read this novel. It shows how hard life can be when people are viewed differently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.