Sam's Reviews > A Voice in the Wind

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: all-time-favourites, a-z-challenge
Read from July 07 to 12, 2012

Astounding.

I have never read such a well-written book in the Christian market. I had accepted it - I read the books for their encouraging message, not for their amazing quality. However, Francine Rivers has blown me away with this brilliantly written novel. I admire how she does not sacrifice the quality of her writing for a message. She incorporates both - and she does it incredibly well.

Often, Christian novels can sound patronizing, the encouragement sometimes a little forced. Rivers has clearly thrown that idea out the window - she is both quality, quantity, and message. I salute her faith, because with her writing talent, she could have easily made it in the secular realm. Many of my most beloved books are of her writing quality. Yet she chose to write with a Christian message - encouraging, inspiring, and giving us a window to the realm of faith the early church had.

Centred around slave girl Hadassah, but following three other lives, the plot is rich - but not overdone. Stories, character names and backgrounds are easy to keep track of - and their diversity keeps the 500 page novel not boring in the least. I have read many 200-300 books that failed to keep my attention continuously. Not with this novel. Hadassah's presence and words will follow me, a potent reminder of what many like her - in real life - suffered and were willing to endure until the very end.

I couldn't ask for more in A Voice in the Wind. It's historical - matching up to my studies and interests in early civilization, encouraging me in my weaknesses, inspiring without the patronizing voice, and entertaining me. I don't think I can emphasize enough that this book is BRILLIANT.

I found common ground with Hadassah, and so many of the other characters, despite the fact that I live modern day, and they lived in the rich and decadent city of Rome. The fact that Rivers was able to breach that gap is admirable. She tackled many of my own daily questions and inhibitions with the plot. And plot arc there is! Rivers barely neglected anything. Plot arcs, relationship arcs, and character arcs - she even changed the setting to give readers more in-depth view of a variety of places.

Slightly mature themes, but recommended to everyone - I think guys will appreciate this book just as much!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Voice in the Wind.

Quotes Sam Liked

Francine Rivers
“We bear the consequences for what we have done to ourselves, and for the sin that rules this world. Jesus forgave the thief, but he didn't take him down off the cross.”

Francine Rivers
“True beauty is rare, and seldom recognized by the one who possesses it.”

Francine Rivers
“Rome tolerated every abominable practice, embraced every foul idea in the name of freedom and the rights of the common man. Citizens no longer carried on deviant behavior in private, but pridefully displayed it in public. It was those with moral values who could no longer freely walk in a public park without having to witness a revolting display.
What happened to the public censors who protected the majority of citizenry from moral decadence? Did freedom have to mean abolishing common decency? Did freedom mean anyone could do anything they wanted anytime they wanted, without consequences?”

Francine Rivers
“Have faith have faith. When you have nothing else have faith.”

Francine Rivers
“Stand firm in the Lord. Stand firm and let Him fight your battle. Do not try to fight alone.”

Francine Rivers
“Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.' Whatever happens is to His good purpose and for His glory. I am not afraid.”

Francine Rivers
“Can you see air you breathe? Can you see the force that moves the tides or changes the seasons or sends the birds to a winter haven?" Her eyes welled. "Can Rome with all its knowledge be so foolish? Oh Marcus, you can't carve God in stone. You can't limit him to a temple. You can't imprison him on a mountaintop. Heaven is his throne; earth, his footstool. Everything you see is his. Empires will rise and empires will fall. Only God prevails.”

Francine Rivers
“Unless we have something worth dying for, Atretes, we've nothing worth living for.”

Francine Rivers
“I gave up what I can't keep for something I can never lose.”

Francine Rivers
“Why is it only in darkness that we remember what sustained us even in the light?”

Francine Rivers
“Calamity is a blessing when it brings one to God.
--- Hadassah”

07/08/2012 page 30
07/12/2012 page 485
93.0% ""Unless we have something worth dying for, Atretes, we've nothing worth living for. I gave up what I can't keep for something I can never lose. I may not know the answers, but God does.""
07/12/2012 page 486
93.0% ""It is an idol. It has no power over you but what you give it.""
07/12/2012 page 488
94.0% ""I have a champion already, Atretes. The battle is already over. He's already won.""
07/12/2012 page 495
95.0% "What God has given us in the light is hope for the darkness."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cari Great. Now I regret not reading this. Will have to order it again. :)

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam No sweat. :P I can lend it to you.

Cari Right! Do you ever borrow books from the library? :P

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam mmmmm... not really. i have a lot of friends who have book collections large enough to be a library... and i also buy a fair amount, so lol.