Sarah's Reviews > Company of Liars

Company of Liars by Karen Maitland

Mar 30, 09

bookshelves: adult-fiction, historical, british, magic-realism
Read in March, 2009

I really enjoyed this novel of plague-era England. In a way, the premise kind of reminded me of McCarthy's The Road in that here we have characters who are struggling to endure and move forward with hope, even though it seems like there really shouldn't be any hope left.

Maitland deftly arranges a set of characters who are forced to travel together. This motley assortment of people adds a lot of excitement and intrigue to the overall puzzle of the book. I never felt like she was pandering to the reader while she set up clues for the eventual revelations about each individual. I managed to guess some, but others were still surprising. The straightforward prose of Camelot's narration included a lot of details that brought the medieval time period to life. (I was also very glad for her historical notes and glossary at the end.)

A suspenseful, historically fascinating, and almost quest-like book that I would recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Company of Liars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Sarah,
Let me know what you think of this book when you're finished! I am really curious.

Sarah I finished it this weekend, Erin, and I loved it! Just added my review, too. It was also a big change of pace from the other books I've been reading lately, just in terms of style and time period. Hope you get a chance to pick it up, because it's really intriguing.

message 3: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin
It sounds great! I love the Canterbury parallels. And that time period is so fascinating. I will definitely put it at the top of the ever-growing list of books I want to read in the near future. (Sometimes I panic a little when I think of how much time is remaining in my life for reading things, going places, watching films; I won't ever finish!)

message 4: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve your comparsion to The Road is spot on!