Kristin's Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: divorce, humor, read-in-2012, reader-s-advisory, romance, teen-angst, ya, brain-candy
Read from July 08 to 12, 2012

Check this review out and others on my blog: Get Real.

I vacillated between giving this book two and three stars. I enjoyed it over all, but I felt like it could have been better even for what it is. It was a slightly sappier, less spontaneous, even more movie-plotted version of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Though there was less swearing, fewer screwball scenarios and far fewer sexual references or situations. This is probably a good book for like 7th or 8th grade and up. It's possible the author was going for an older audience, but the content doesn't require that. This is a light take on the convergence of time and situation and how kids deal with the crap their parents put them through.

Things all work out in the end, and everyone learns how to be a better person. I would have liked more interaction between Hadley and Oliver. Even though they spent all that time on a plane to London, you don't get as much dialogue between them as you would expect. Their meeting is very movie-like in that they meet in an airport after Hadley misses her initial flight to London to attend her father's wedding. Not only that (of course), these two crazy kids just happen to be seated in the same row on the plane Hadley does catch. They stay up all night talking (but not about very much) and kiss at the airport upon landing. However, they lose track of each other in customs. Will they see each other again? I'll give you one guess. Three chances will insult your intelligence.

There's a lot of nice background about the dynamic in Hadley's family following her parents' divorce. That was cool, and it was dealt with realistically in the beginning, but I just kind of went ehhhh at the resolution. The wrap-up was too neat and reminded me too much of about 20 movies about divorce I've seen before. Oliver's story also could have had more meat too, as his situation seemed complex. Oh well. I first came across this book several months ago, but didn't pick it up because I thought the premise was too easy. I finally grabbed it this summer because I needed a change after a particularly hard read. It served its purpose, but I'd just read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. It's a little gritty, but I'm sure you can handle it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.