Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip's Reviews > Captive in the Dark

Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: e-reader, erotic-dark-taboo
Read from July 08 to 09, 2012

"For what its worth Livvie, I never thought of you as a whore. And you are....the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

Captive in the Dark held me prisoner right along with Livvie throughout the entire book. There were so many times that I was screaming in my head at my nook to Livvie - JUST CALL HIM MASTER!!!! JUST OBEY!!!! DON'T RUN, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING????? But in the end she never listened to me....she was stubborn and strong and paid the price at the hand of Caleb...a man who was a prisoner in his own war with himself.

It took me several hours before I could write this review because all day I have been on the verge of tears struggling with how I was feeling about this book. The subject matter is not something that is easy to read about, but CJ Roberts captivated me from page 1. This book really did a number on my emotions!!!

As a mother of a teenage daughter, I struggled with Livvie's loss of her innocense and knowing (even as she did) that her life would NEVER be the same. No matter even if she got free of him, the damage was done and she lost a part of her that she would never get back. The fact that Livvie met Caleb on the street when he tried to "protect her" from the drive by and she had fantasies of him from then on made her develop a love/hate relationship with him. She could justify the hate....but she struggled with the fact that she fell in love with him (Stockholms she remembered)as well. And because of her love for him she decided that she would do whatever he needed her to do - partly because she came to the conclusion that she would never get away from him the other part because she needed him to love her back - something she craved from her family but never got.

On the other hand Caleb (Keleb the dog) was an awful and dispicable human being, probably not born that way (his mother referred to him as "her handsome little man") but became what he is today because of tragic events of the past similar to what Livvie is going through. The biggest difference between their two kidnappings is
1. Nahweh - Caleb's Master was violent and cruel
2. Caleb loves Livvie.

"You'll always be Kitten to me....Livvie"

As much as I wanted to hate Caleb - and there were definitely times that I did, I knew ultimately I wouldn't....I knew ultimately that I would love him and hope the best for him and Livvie. I knew the author was pulling at my sense of hope that things between them would blossom and flourish into love...and she was right on the mark. I fell in love with them, with their story of daily survival and I can't wait to see where the next book takes them and how they handle it.

"Caleb could and would hurt me. Not today, but maybe tomorrow or the next day. Still, for the first time I knew he could not destroy me. It would matter to him if I didn't exist. And no matter what happened, I'd land on my feet because Caleb had shown me I had it in me. It was a strange gift, from and unexpected source."

While waiting for Seduced in the Dark, Caleb and Livvie live free of any pain in my heart!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive in the Dark.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sara Oh you went there? I will be here if you need me? LOL

Sibylla Matilde How are you liking it so far? That one is on my TBR....

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip Yes Sara....I went there and will email you for a little east coast/west coast hand holding....for what it's worth I'm holding my own lol! I know I am supposed to hate caleb but I just haven't gotten there yet. If I make it through this one does it mean I can read comfort food????

Summer...I am not sure if I'm "liking" it per se because of the subject matter but I am definitely drawn to it.....

Sara I was with you on Caleb. When you realize his story you feel for him a bit. He does some horrible shit but it's hard not to have sympathetic emotions. Good job on the authors part right?

You might. Comfort Food has a very different feel. Reading is more like reading a journal of the accounts where this is a story.

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip Well I shouldn't get too ahead of myself with Caleb.....I'm only on pg 47 and he just pissed me off!

Sara Georgana wrote: "Well I shouldn't get too ahead of myself with Caleb.....I'm only on pg 47 and he just pissed me off!"

He will piss you off the entire book! LOL But I will say I cried for him at one point. Much later though.

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip well i hope to finish tonight so i will let you know....i feel like its kinda a combination of the movie Taken and Slumdog millionaire....lol

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip Sara....I can't give a review on this book yet....I have to say I fell in love with both of them, I know I am supposed to hate Caleb, but I don't. I have to let this one sink in for a bit...

message 9: by Sara (last edited Jul 09, 2012 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I know what you mean. It is hard to flat out hate him. (view spoiler) This book was not black and white. The sequel comes out in September. The author posted the first chapter on Facebook and my jaw was on the floor. It will be another ride for sure.

Emily Like I was telling Sara as much as I probably shouldn't I really want an HEA for them. I know thats probably the last thing I want but they are two lost and damaged souls that have such strange chemistry.

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip I do too em....I almost need the HEA.... I read a portion on her fb pg and it makes it sound like caleb might have died....if that happens, you want to fly with Sara and me to find cj roberts....and make her do a rewrite?!?!? Lol

Emily Absolutely!!!

Sara You finally wrote it! Yay! I am sorry I dragged you down into the emotional dark side. Just remember to stay off her website, it confuses the holy heck out of me now that I read the first chapter. Ugh. I cannot wait until September.

Emily, did you see she met her goal on Kickstart?

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip all i read was the first chapter on her fb page this morning....i wish i hadn't....not today....i wasn't ready to hear caleb might be dead....not today....

Emily Sara E. wrote: "You finally wrote it! Yay! I am sorry I dragged you down into the emotional dark side. Just remember to stay off her website, it confuses the holy heck out of me now that I read the first chapter. ..."

No I didn't. That's awesome. Come on September.

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip You two will have to read it first and let me know if Caleb dies. I won't read it then....I think I'm still crying lol!!!

Emily Georgana wrote: "all i read was the first chapter on her fb page this morning....i wish i hadn't....not today....i wasn't ready to hear caleb might be dead....not today...."

I don't think he is. Maybe that's how Caleb and Livvie get away from Rafiq by saying that he's dead.

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip Oh Em I hope you are right....did you have a chance to read her draft on her fb pg?

Emily Yes I read it and that's the first thing that I thought. It just struck me as weird that the first chapter totally blows the entire books ending.
I would be kind of disappointed if he does but either way I still want to know what happens.

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip Me too....but I think that she might make the second chapter be a flashback because she has to fill in the past months. I truly can not imagine him dying...plus I think people would really be pissed....I think a HEA ending has to be in store...at least that's my hope!

Did you start reading the red head books yet?

Emily I'm starting those tomorrow yay. Thanks again by the way.

message 22: by Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip (last edited Jul 09, 2012 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip My pleasure!!!! Can't wait to get your opinions!!!

Sara I think either he dies or it is some sort of plan to make it look that way. There are other scenes of them together on her blog so it is confusing. I hope they work together somehow and Livvie gets to kick some ass. To start a book that way is nuts and brilliant!

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip Where are these blogs????? You are a better stalker than me!!!

message 25: by Sara (last edited Jul 09, 2012 09:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I told you I have OCD! LOL

Here is a total pervy scene but good!

Here is another one of them together. So HOT!

There are a few other short passages on her facebook page. One was so sweet of Caleb licking tears off her face saying he wanted to know if happy tears tasted different than sad ones.

Oh and this too: "I couldn’t stop the moan that broke past my lips. I had never felt anything like this. Never had I wanted to laugh, and weep, and fuck, and devour another human being until there was nothing left of him – until we were one person, and I could feel peace." Livvie, Seduced in the Dark by CJ Roberts

And now I am done driving you insane! LOL

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip Geez sara....I am having to fan myself after reading that quote from livvie....this southern belle is melting haha!!!

Thanks for the links!

Sara Georgana wrote: "Geez sara....I am having to fan myself after reading that quote from livvie....this southern belle is melting haha!!!

Thanks for the links!"

Total confusion though right? LOL The author is weaving an incredible tale for the sequel.

Sara Michelle wrote: "I've had this book downloaded for a while but every other book seems to take precedence."

Michelle it is an emotional read that takes you to some dark places. I loved it though and cannot wait for the sequel. It's not a romance at all though, we are really romanticizing the characters. It does a number on you for sure.

Nina & Georgana The Literary Gossip Sara....just read the links you posted for seduced....wow!!!!!

Sara Georgana wrote: "Sara....just read the links you posted for seduced....wow!!!!!"

Confused yet? LOL I know I am. No clue where Seduced in the Dark will take us and what ending we will get.