Lady Jaye's Reviews > The Mark of Athena

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

After Reading:

Frankly, this was sub-par and not at all worthy of Rick Riordan and the characters he's created (By that I mean Percy and Annabeth, not the new people. The others' creation was sub-par to begin with).

What we have here is some very shoddy work. Too many cooks spoil the broth and the many narrators made for a choppy and boring story. The characters were very flat. Mr. Riordan has managed to create a singularly annoying character in Coach Hedge. Piper and Leo are not far behind. Jason the cardboard cutout is just hanging there. Even Percy and Annabeth have become unidimensional characters filled with lots of angst and unnecessary emo.

Flat, uninspired, slipshod, bad. I could go on and on with more synonyms but you catch my drift.
So unworthy of Mr. Riordan's legacy. It's hardly believable that he wrote this.

I am very sad to say this book is not worth the time, money, or effort it takes to acquire and read it. Here's a fervent hope that book 4 would be better, because the bar for this series has just been set at a new low.

--------------------------------
Our dudes are supposed to be a team, but from the absolutely stunning cover, it seems Percy and Jason are fighting. Bites fingernails. But oh well, in that case.... Crush him to bits, Percy!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark of Athena.

10/03/2012
10.0% "Lots of emo..... Meh"
10/04/2012
60.0% "This book is a fail for the most part"
02/13/2016 marked as: read

Kendall Wrong!! This book is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Lady Jaye No it isn't. It is far below the bar of excellence Rick Riordan has set with previous books.

Kendall I love his books. Ya, I have to admit that piper was kinda annoying but that was about it with the bad stuff. Five stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luis I agree 100%, The Heroes of Olympus series just hasn't been as well done as the as the original Percy series. This round of characters just aren't up to the standards, the villains are a joke, and the story has just fallen flat. Maybe now that he isn't writing a concurrent series, it will improve.

Lady Jaye I really hope so, Luis. I hope so.

Kendall Piper just annoys me, that's about my only problem!
She obsesses over Jason CONSTANTLY and it annoys me to death!

Keith My thoughts exactly.

message 8: by J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J. You are absolutely right. Terribly written. I think they may have fired their editor.

message 9: by Diashawn (new)

Diashawn Mark of Athena to me is the better side of Heroes of Olympus. It was better, and for the most part characters are just like this, Rick never really changed his characters. Coach Hedge is funny(he actually helped make the first book funny).

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick Collier I have to disagree with what you said. I believe that the new characters gave the story a lot of body. Although it did get a little confusing at times because it would take you a moment to remember which character the narrator was talking about. After about the 10th chapter you begin to connect with the characters and remember each of them. Also each of the characters has a certain power which helps the group throughout the book. I think Riordan did a great job with getting each of the characters there moment in the book.

I saw that about 60% through the book you said this book is a fail for the most part. When I was reading the book and got about 50% of the way through I was so hooked. The ending with Percy and Annabeth falling into Tartarus. Everyone saying that the ending was awful obviously hasn't read enough of Rick Riordans books to predict a cliffhanger ending. His books are fueled by cliffhangers.

I do agree with you with somethings. In some of his books he starts to drag a bit like at the part in chapter 2-3 and the building up of them going to Camp Jupiter. Overall I think your review on the book makes both good and bad points.

Lady Jaye While I am glad you liked the book, I intensely disliked it. What you call a cliffhanger I call a complete fail that marks the climax of a weak plot. Opinions - we're all allowed to have them.

Elizabeth Engstrom this is an amazing book Last Jay, and if you don't see that than your crazy. I mean not to be rude, nut this is one of the best books he ha written yet. All the grow a lot and the villains ate really cool. I mean sure, Pipers annoying and I don't like Jason but they are still good characters. The book is great. How Don't you see that?

Lady Jaye Do you see me on your review telling you that you are obviously an idiot for liking and defending something that is so visibly subpar? No? No? Good. Then deal with your review and let me deal with mine.

Elizabeth Engstrom look my comment was really rude. I didn't see that until I reread it. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. but I'm suggesting that you maybe read it one more time and see what other people see in it.

Elizabeth Engstrom All I was trying to say is that this is a great book. I was really surprised to see that you didn't like it that much. Is that okay?

Lady Jaye Yes, please, that last statement is much better. I just think that Mr. Riordan is capable of so much better than the work he produced here. For me Son Of Neptune is faaaaar better than this travesty.

Elizabeth Engstrom I do agree that this book could've been better and that ,yes, Son of Neptune was better than Mark Of Athena.

message 18: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I find the only problem with the series is Annabeth and Piper. In the original series, I loved her, she was so bad ass, but now I feel Riordan ruined her. She became emo, depressed and dependent on Percy. Same with Piper, she had so much potential! Them she started obsessing with Jason. so those are my thoughts

message 19: by Diashawn (new)

Diashawn Victoria is right. However, this was Rick best book when it comes to substance.

message 20: by Tyler (new)

Tyler I think that you are not getting too far in the whole mood of this book. After reading this book, i feel that it is a book of getting into the lives of them. if you do not, you are going to miss the whole point of the book and miss how good it actually is

message 21: by Luis (new) - rated it 2 stars

Luis If you hated this, don't waste your time with Blood of Olympus. It was a huge let down. I think RR really just screwed the pooch on this series as a whole, and spread himself too thin with all of his other projects. I'm going to steer clear of his stuff from now on.

Lady Jaye Luis I feel you. I agree wholeheartedly that Mr Riordan's spread himself too thin and so comes up with these ridiculous, shallow plots and screws up great characters. I might also just steer clear off him from now on myself.

message 24: by Sam (new)

Sam Mcklin While I do understand your point when you say that the new characters and the development of the old character has been not as good as it was in the past, but Riordan also has to develop a whole bunch of characters at the same time. This is a difficult task to accomplish, I would assume. Also, these characters are developing and the story and plot are developing. The fact that everything in the books is developing leads me to believe (especially now after having finished the series) that he was trying to set the stage for the final change in the characters and in the plot. If you have read Riordan's previous books, you know that he is quite good at connecting parts of the books to other parts. In this book, I believe he was trying to make a bridge between parts of past books that he connects to future books.

Overall the books weren't as captivating as the original series and the characters own voices weren't heard as much as they should have been, but it was as much as it could have been. I think that he did the best with what he had and still made an interesting story out of it.

Daniel Hahahaha I think you didnt like percabeth going down into the hole. Believe me, I also feel like I've been sucked into that pit, but this book was better than the previous two. In Lost Hero, I would dare to say that the new characters annoyed us (except Leo, a little bit), which takes points away from it. In Mark of Athena, Rick gives us the opportunity to understand them and connect with them. If you didn't seize it, well if you have read the next books I hope you finally did it. Son of Neptune, in my opinion, was the one with the weak plot so far (and I've only read 3) Because there came a point in which I just wanted them to arrive and kill the giant and get back. I felt like it was eternal and there were filler scenes in the middle. Still, it was a great book and I gave it 4 stars. Mark of Athena is not just a journey, it's THE journey, ending in an unfortunate event that leads to an even better journey, which none of the readers saw coming or imagined would happen. In other words, it drives and twists the plot into a new direction. I respect your opinion, maybe there were flaws in how Rick structured the story, but it doesn't deserve to be called a failure.

Lady Jaye It. Is. A. FAILURE.

Daniel I'm sorry you weren't able to enjoy it. But this series is a jewel, and I'm sure most of who have read it will agree with me. Peace!

message 28: by Chenthuran (last edited Apr 28, 2015 05:44PM) (new)

Chenthuran Abeyakaran My stance is in between Lady Jaye's and Daniel's. I wouldn't go as far and say that this series is a jewel, but it isn't a slipshod book. Rick Riordan's best series was the Percy Jackson Series.

The problem with this series was that we had some characters who were well established from the previous Percy Jackson series (Percy, Annabeth, Nico, etc.), but we had some characters, whose development was non-existent or rushed (Jason, Piper, Frank, Hazel, Leo, etc.). While we are still on the subject of the characters, I believe that some of the prominent characters in the Percy Jackson series should have been made more appearances (Chiron, Thalia), instead of rotting away as they have done so far, but I guess Riordan wanted equal representation of the Greek and Roman camps, more or less.

Another problem, something you guys (Luis) brushed on, is the fact that he has stretched himself. Ever since Riordan was propelled into fame, he has struggled under the limelight. All of a sudden, Riordan gained many fans and is under pressure to publish more and more books. The rate at which he has published books is crazy. This has definitely taken a toll on the quality. Before his fame, he wasn't as prolific, but he had put a lot more effort and quality in the books. He has set his priorities incorrectly and has quantity over quality in order to appease the masses and ever-growing fan base, and now the fan base has to suffer.

Daniel Chenthurian you are right. I exaggerated it by calling it a jewel. I agree on the fact that the series have flaws regarding character development, but personally I think that Rick's attempt of writing too many characters in a 400-500 pages book was bold. I mean he never did that in the percy jackson series so it was new for us and for him to have the books divides by the POV's of the characters. I give him credit for that. Nevertheless, characters did have their moment, but I agree that it didn't strengthen their development.

My biggest problem about the series was that the plot was not handled in a good way before the fourth book's end. I found the Calypso and Leo meeting totally unexpected and nice but in the fifth book I felt it completely ironic. [SPOILER] Literally, Leo's wish of being with Calypso was the main reason why the physician's cure was brought up (and I found that thing utterly unnecessary by the way) and what led him towards his death. Don't get me wrong, Leo is one of my favorite characters but I would have preferred that he died sacrificing himself for everyone, being a hero, and finally that he was remembered as someone important, not as the loner of the group, rather than dying just because he wanted to be with Calypso and then resurrecting himself with a cure that didn't help with the big mission at all.

So I do have my love/hate relationship with the series haha but I do consider it as one of the best series I've read and I think that Rick deserves all the appraisal he has gotten so far.

message 30: by Luis (new) - rated it 2 stars

Luis I agree with Lady Jay. If you have to make excuses for why characters and plots weren't developed, then the story wasn't good. Seems that people are rating the book for how good they hoped it would be, instead of the quality of the text that was on the page. Mr. Riordan took a big risk with so many characters and plots, but he didn't pull it off. He should have taken longer to develop his characters and plot, but alas, he rushed the story in order to get the books out. Can't hate a man for wanting money, but you can choose to stop reading his books.

message 31: by Ryan (new) - added it

Ryan You think this one's bad? Still better than kane chronicles book 2: the throne of fire imo.

message 32: by Luis (new) - rated it 2 stars

Luis I think the quality of his writing has been rapidly declining since the last Percy book. That being said, I couldn't finish the second Kane chronicles book, but that still doesn't mean that this book was good.

Faisal Habib Finally someones got an honest review