Judy's Reviews > Then Again

Then Again by Diane Keaton

F 50x66
Jul 07, 12

Read in July, 2012

My preferred reading material is memoirs, which is why I picked up this book at the library. Plus, I like the Diane Keaton persona and a couple of her movies are on my top 10 favorites list, namely Manhattan Murder Mystery and Something's Gotta Give. Despite a fickle public, she's kept her movie career going for 40 years without descending into alcoholism, drugs, or slasher movies. This is a substantive accomplishment and makes me want to know more about her.

In this book Keaton doesn't give the reader intimate details of her romances and breakups, and for this I say Thank You. The little she does tell us about the 3 men she loved is all we need to know. Not much here about her movies. Nor does she discuss her friends in detail, though it's apparent how important and necessary they are to her happiness. Instead, she has written about herself and her mother, with whom she had a wonderful relationship, so unlike my own experience with my self-absorbed and distant mother.

I had always assumed Keaton had loads of self-confidence, essential for anyone who dresses the way she does, but no, Keaton is self-doubting. From childhood on Keaton didn't think she was pretty, something she thought essential in order to be noticed, and so she created a personality via hats, wide belts, and a big smile. This reminded me of Diana Vreeland, absolutely not pretty, who used clothes to express her personality, but who possessed genuine self-confidence and belief in her talents. And like her mother, Keaton, seeking to discover herself and her calling, wasted time in "artistic" projects, until Warren Beatty told her, "You're a movie star. Make movies."

The book ends happily when, at the ripe old age of 50, she becomes a mother via adoption, and like her own mother she finds fulfillment in child raising. And that's what became of Annie Hall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Again.