Adam's Reviews > The Best of Lucius Shepard

The Best of Lucius Shepard by Lucius Shepard

Lucius Shepard went from a writer I couldn’t get into or understand the respect and praise heaped on him, to one of my absolute favorites pretty much on reading his novella ‘R&R”. This is like the Rosetta stone for his work. A work of such luminous power that I read everything I can by him to get that glow. Sometimes just hint of it shines through and sometimes it burns even brighter (ironic language for such a grim writer). Dense, beautiful prose, mastery of setting, character, and dialogue, understanding of the harsh tide of world politics, and ability to leap genres with aplomb (knowing what cliché to subvert and what ones to convince with the sheer force of their telling.). This is a great intro to this writer who is part Conrad, part Vance, and wholly essential. Well selected stories at the beginning will guide you into the dark forest of nightmares and beauty that is Shepard’s world. The selections from The Ends of the Earth(his best collection) I disagree with as they miss some of his best work(“Nomad’s Land”, “Scalehunter’s beautiful daughter”, “Ride to Glory”, “On the Border”, “Aymara”,) Of recent stories I would have preferred “Eternity”,”Limbo”, or “Barnacle Bill” might have been better (or the novella “Floater.”, but just because I can find it no where) Of the stories that are new here, there is the bizarre fable “Arceveolo”, which gives credence to the advance press claim of Shepard resembling Hawthorne as it is an allegory or parable as evocative and mysterious as myth with no clear interpretation. A strange and bittersweet story featuring Jack the Ripper and Nazis isn’t as silly as it could be, which is an accomplishment, but it isn’t that great regardless. “A Radiant Green Star” set in future Vietnam and involving elements of cyberpunk and Greek tragedy in a story involving revenge, a circus, and the oldest living POW, is a moody success.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of Lucius Shepard.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John So great to see this unsettling & overlooked free-thinker getting some fresh respect.

message 2: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn I have seen his name for some time and liked your review. Picked this up on Kindle and started with R&R. You were not kidding, I dropped everything else and am reading.

Adam Lyn wrote: "I have seen his name for some time and liked your review. Picked this up on Kindle and started with R&R. You were not kidding, I dropped everything else and am reading."

Awesome!

message 4: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn I am loving it, have a new favorite writer