Ni_kii's Reviews > The Virgin's Revenge

The Virgin's Revenge by Dee Tenorio

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: virgin, smexy, dreamy-men, secret-geek, motorbike
Read in July, 2012

Full Review is up on http://scorchingbookreviews.blogsopt.com

Amanda was a bit of a stubborn idiot at times but on the whole I liked her. She was trying to break out of the protective barriers created by her elder brothers but there was something inside telling her she wasn’t good enough to make it on her own. Never really having seen the “I will kill you painfully and they will never find the body” side of her eldest brother, she never really understood the barrier that other men faced. She just assumed that she wasn’t worth fighting for, that she was destined for a life in the shadows.When Cole asks her out, she doesn’t believe it’s anything other than a joke.When she hears about the plan, it all makes sense her head. Yes, she’s hurt by her brother’s actions but also it’s a way to get rid of the virginity she doesn’t think she’ll ever get rid of otherwise. She really was a woman with issues and I felt so much pity for that.

Unfortunately, there were also points I wanted to slap her upside the head. Her stubbornness was cute, but over the top. I loved that she traded skills for life skills (i.e. cooking lessons for electrical safety lessons) but her reasoning pissed me off. Being self sufficient is one thing; learning these skills to prove a point and never having to ask your brother? Bit much. She was likeable but a little childish in her reasoning.

Cole I adored. Cole didn’t want to be married because his parents had had a terrible one, but he forgot about that soon enough. What I loved throughout this tale was the total devotion he had to Amanda. He didn’t stifle her,didn’t control her; he tried to enable her to make her own way. He arranged for her to learn car maintenance, tried to romance her even though she was a sure thing and he never let up trying to show her she was a person worth knowing. He had some of the best lines in this entire book and I fell for him hook, line and sinker. The scene where he found out about the catalogue was the best in the book for me; that firm control snapped and we got some seriously pissed off man... *swoon*. Of course the fact that he knew Elfish and Klingon only cemented my love of him...I love secret nerds :D

"There's more to sex than just going at it." He pressed a kiss to the corner of her mouth, then another along her cheek. She turned her head to give him more room. "There's not much satisfaction in that. You should have build-up. Anticipation. Temptation. Seduction."

The side characters of this tale made it even better. A special mention must go out to Locke... I cannot wait for his book! He was a complete caveman for the majority of the book, but the scene where he explains how much he gave up to bring them all up made me tear up; there are many hidden layers to that man, I can’t wait for his story (especially with the big massive clue Dee throws our way in the Epilogue :D)

This is a contemporary with angst, humour and sexual tension throughout. With a Hero that made me swoon and a side character that made me cry, I don’t think I could ask for anything more. Read it for Cole if nothing else.... he named his motorbike "friend" in Elfish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin's Revenge.