Valentina's Reviews > Thy Neighbor: A Novel

Thy Neighbor by Norah Vincent

4197862
Jul 11, 12

Read from July 07 to 11, 2012

This is a difficult book to review, mainly because I’m not completely sure how I feel about it yet. It’s one of those books which sinks its teeth in and makes more sense the longer it marinates in the reader.
There are some really good moments, many fascinating sentences, the kind that make you go “wow, I’ve never thought of that in that particular manner”. It is definitely a literary book, with lots of internal monologues. For a lot of the book, these are witty and make the reading very enjoyable. There were, however, a few moments when I felt that a bit of trimming would have made a better book.
I suppose the biggest issue with the book is that none of the characters are entirely likable, not even the protagonist/narrator. He is a troubled person with an aggressive mind, which could have been interesting, but he came off more pathetic than anything else. This could have very well been the author’s intention, but I couldn’t really bring myself to enjoy following this antihero around.
As I said, the book is hard to rate because it feels uneven in its qualities. On one side, it has some fabulous writing, and on the other, it has a self-indulgent narrator who doesn’t really make much of an impact on the reader. I suppose this is one you’ll have to try for yourselves and see what you think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thy Neighbor.