Michaela's Reviews > Rise

Rise by Anna Carey

Jun 26, 13

bookshelves: horribly-awful-in-some-way, young-adult-fiction, dystopian
Read from June 25 to 26, 2013

I almost gave this 2 stars. Almost. BUT THERE IS SIMPLY NO EXCUSE FOR THAT ENDING. It was an out-of-place, lackluster, irritating, COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY cliff-hanger that essentially made half this novel's plot irrelevant and useless. The only good part of this book was Charles, who is probably too nice for his own good and pretty much the only character I could summon sympathy for since (minor spoiler) Arden, the heroine that should have been, is nowhere to be seen for most of the book. I pretty much hated this book for the same reason I hate the others. It has a boring, slow, generic "dystopian" plot and 2 dimensional characters. This series sounded so promising when it first came out-that is why I read every installment-but each book failed on all accounts, except for the occassional fabulous but sadly ignored secondary character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise.

06/25/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/25/2013 page 1
0.0% "I really don't know why I am reading this. It was sitting there out in the open at the library and I grabbed it. *sighs* I expect nothing but the worse from this book. Here goes nothing..."
06/25/2013 page 36
11.0% "*Spoiler Alert* Ooooohhhhhh. Pregnant with your dead lover's, non husband's baby. This could actually be an interesting subplot."
06/25/2013 page 39
12.0% "Okay, uhhh, I think this book has some timeline issues that weren't caught by the editor..."
06/25/2013 page 50
16.0% "I knew he wouldn't tell. I think the author wants me to hate Charles, but I really can't. He is way too kind to Eve and she definitely doesnt deserve it considering how awful she is to him."
06/25/2013 page 164
52.0% "I find it unlikely that someone can survive for long after a 30 foot drop onto a pile of freaking ROCKS."
06/25/2013 page 169
54.0% "Superhuman powers: falling off a cliff and only breaking one bone and receiving a few bruises. And then being okay even though she is in the wilderness and completely without medical help."
06/26/2013 page 232
74.0% "Well. Hmm. That was awfully sudden."
06/26/2013 page 310
100.0% "What the hell?! THAT IS NOT AN ENDING. ESPECIALLY NOT FOR THE FINAL BOOK IN A TRILOGY."
06/26/2013 marked as: read