Aaron's Reviews > Dinosaurs on the Roof

Dinosaurs on the Roof by David Rabe

Mar 18, 09

Read in March, 2009

To start, a quote from this novel: It was too much. All of it. More than she could handle. She listened and knew that she should just give up. There was too much beauty in the world.

As a playwright, I was drawn to this novel by a power stronger than I (David Rabe being one of the greatest living American playwrights). But I approached it with much trepidation once I saw all the negative reviews posted here on this site. Having read it, I wonder if I managed to find some rare director's cut version of the book that the others didn't read.

I was quite fond of this novel. I will agree with the assessment of most reviewers that the protagonists are awfully vile people but I think there's a point to that. And it's a Rapture-related point at that.

Yes, this novel is about the Rapture (sort of) and it's effect on two vastly different women. There's Janet, a divorced former schoolteacher whose life has become a blurry haze of drugs, alcohol, and random sex. And then there's Bernice, a devout woman beginning to question her preacher's ability to name the time and place of the alleged Rapture. Over the span of two days, their lives will interconnect in unexpected ways. The both of them will also be changed forever in unexpeced ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinosaurs on the Roof.

03/03/2009 page 37
7.64% "Sometimes, David Rabe's sentence structure is kind of offputting."
03/04/2009 page 89
18.39% "There's an awful lot of talk about peeing in this book."
03/05/2009 page 114
23.55% "David Rabe writes fabulous, authentic-sounding dialogue"
03/09/2009 page 234
48.35% "David Rabe also dos nice character development in unexpected ways, but can we can it with all the peeing?"
03/17/2009 page 381
78.72% "Does anyone know if David Rabe would let me buy screenplay rights to this novel?"
show 1 hidden update…