Darlene's Reviews > 3rd Degree

3rd Degree by James Patterson

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: audiobook, books-i-own, 2012-dusty-bookshelf-challenge
Read from July 07 to 10, 2012

3rd Degree is the third book in Patterson’s Women’s Murder Club series. For those who are unfamiliar with the series, the protagonist is Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer with the San Francisco Police Department, who solves crimes with the aid of her three friends: District Attorney Jill Bernhardt, Chief Medical Examiner Claire Washburn, and San Francisco Chronicle Reporter Cindy Thomas.

A group of people is targeting high-profile businessmen, and they have vowed to continue to kill someone every three days to mete out their own form of justice. As the body count rises, it is up to Lindsay and the girls to figure out who the perpetrators are, why they are doing it, and how to stop them.

I really enjoyed the crime aspect of the book, and I thought this installment was better than the last, 2nd Chance. There is a lot of drama in the lives of the girls, particularly with Jill and Lindsay: Jill is dealing with marital problems, and Lindsay is debating whether to enter the dating pool again. There are a couple of surprises in 3rd Degree that I didn’t expect, and I won’t give any spoilers!

Despite the chick-lit drama (which is my least favourite part of the series and why I believe that I am probably better suited to Patterson’s Alex Cross series, which I plan to read after I finish this one), I really enjoyed the story! I also really like that Patterson’s books are fast reads for me and that the crime keeps me engaged in the story.

Narrator Carolyn McCormick is new-to-me, and her narration was fine. However, I dislike that a different narrator has been used for each book in the series so far. With a series, I prefer narrator continuity because I get used to the vocal characterizations of one narrator and then a different one might interpret the character’s voice in a completely different manner. It would be my preference to have the same person narrate the entire series.

MY RATING: 4 stars!! It was really good, and you should put it on your TBR list!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 3rd Degree.