Bjj's Reviews > Bone Dressing

Bone Dressing by Michelle I. Brooks

Jul 07, 12

This was one of those “amazon recommends” things and unlike some it didn’t work for me. Usually it does.
I actually bought it because the title intrigued me, as did the haunting cover art. I only skimmed the synopsis, my bad. And I admit it.
The basic idea was good, but this just wasn’t for me. I would have liked this story if it were not so hopelessly overwritten – to many metaphors, too many long and frankly boring descriptions, too much sappy lurve. And the main protagonist was just too childish for me to connect with. It’s a teen book. This review is not to denigrate the author, it’s to warn others like me that this book might not be what you were expecting – read the blurb, read the reviews and only then, if you’re still sure it’s for you – buy it.
This book has many positive reviews and I am glad for that, it’s not badly written for the right audience – that’s obvious. But it needs tightening up – a lot of the descriptive stuff would have been pretty ruthlessly cut by a good editor. I would recommend the author hire one as this would be a slam dunk with better editing.
I still think the title is brilliant and just shows what an imagination the author has. “Bone Dressing” love it! I am keeping this book for that and the cover alone.
But I will never read it again unless my library burns down,and my kindle overloads and this is all I have left.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bone Dressing.