Dan Schwent's Reviews > Manhunter, Vol. 2: Trial by Fire

Manhunter, Vol. 2 by Marc Andreyko

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: comics, 2012, cool-covers
Read from July 12 to 14, 2012

The Shadow Thief is on trial for the murder of Firestorm and it's up to Kate Spencer to make sure he's found guilty but some of his friends are on the way. Meanwhile, someone's murdering past Manhunters...

The second Manhunter volume is even better than the first. Kate learns more about her costume's capabilities, tries to quit smoking, and even works on her relationship with her ex. Also, there's a lot of great action. I can't say enough good things about the Kate Spencer character. She's tough and kind of a bitch sometimes and I'm quickly becoming attached to her. It's a shame she'll probably never make another appearance post-New 52.

I think the reason this book developed a cult following is much the same as Starman. Andreyko took a concept no one had done anything interesting with in years, Manhunter, and pretty much did what he wanted to with it while still showing respect for the past. Couple that with great writing and you have a winner on your hands. Too bad people ignored this book and Gotham Central in favor of the same old bullshit when it was being produced.

That's really about all I have to say. Anything else would spoil too many plot points. Like I always say with Starman, if you're looking for a super hero book that's about more than guys punching each other, give Manhunter a try.
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manhunter, Vol. 2.

07/12/2012 page 33
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed What fine series you are reading for the firt time recently. This i enjoyed reading through all the cancellations. Neat idea of a lawyer and a vigilante killing the criminals when they escape her.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Mohammed wrote: "What fine series you are reading for the firt time recently. This i enjoyed reading through all the cancellations. Neat idea of a lawyer and a vigilante killing the criminals when they escape her."

It's great stuff. Yet another series that was coming out when I wasn't reading comics.

message 3: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Dan wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "What fine series you are reading for the firt time recently. This i enjoyed reading through all the cancellations. Neat idea of a lawyer and a vigilante killing the criminals when..."

Heh in comic forums they look at weird at fans like me who have read comics only since 2005. Old time fans of 20+ years is more the norm. Specially American superhero worlds is messy to understand still now for me.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Well I'm a comic fan of 40+ years and have never read this one. Mainly I look weird at folk who don't read comics/trades at all. They are missing out on one of the best mediums out there. Mainly because they still associate comics with kids. Numpties.

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Michael wrote: "Well I'm a comic fan of 40+ years and have never read this one. Mainly I look weird at folk who don't read comics/trades at all. They are missing out on one of the best mediums out there. Mainly be..."

I look at comics as a quick and easy way to get my story fix. Manhunter is really well written and I wish they'd give Marc Andreyko a high profile book to work on if they aren't going to bring back Manhunter.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael I've never read any Marc Andreyko Manhunter, though I know the character from some of the crossovers and Birds of Prey. Guess I'd better look out for the trade.

message 7: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed I became comics reader because i became used to getting good story fix from books and looking for good writers,artist in comics medium was next natural step. I never thought comics was for kids, i mean kids over here only read Tintin, adventure comics when i was a kid. A 10 year old wont get Vertigo comics,dark mature mangas,european comics.