Tim's Reviews > The Seven Storey Mountain

The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton

First of all, no I didn’t spell “storey” wrong…that’s how it’s spelled on the book’s cover. This is Merton’s spritual autobiography, and it’s an intimidating book at first in its size, but I had no trouble being gripped by Merton’s writing style and his personal journey. In the end, he feels led into a Trappist monastery, from where he writes this book. While I loved his story of his journey of faith (I think anyone struggling with faith questions would), I have always been baffled by the decision monks make to separate themselves from the very world we are supposed to serve. In the final chapter, Merton responds to that very concern and reassured me that a monk can serve the world in a unique way, as Merton believes he himself is doing.

I’ve only read this one once so I’m noticeably hazy on my recollection of details, but I plan to make this one a part of my every decade reading plan because it’s not only a well written story, it’s a challenging spiritual book.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Storey Mountain.

message 1: by K (new)

K Tim, I found this a compelling read, as well, for many of the same reasons. I came across it as a first-year law student back at Georgetown. I lived at the time in student housing and across the hall, interestingly, from a nun, who worked for the school's interfaith office of religious life. We had several good discussions about how to live one's faith and the "in the world / out of the world" divide, and she loaned me this book. Definitely one I'd like to return to in a few years.

message 2: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim K wrote: "Tim, I found this a compelling read, as well, for many of the same reasons. I came across it as a first-year law student back at Georgetown. I lived at the time in student housing and across the ..."

Thanks for your feedback! I will reread it again soon as well. One of the better autobiographies I've read. Hope you are well!