Laura Morrigan's Reviews > Century

Century by Sarah Singleton

6197300
Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, england, europe, female-and-queer-issues, gothic-and-horror, magic, youth-fiction
Read from July 07 to 10, 2012

Century is an imaginative story with a beautifully evocative and moody setting. I can't say too much about the plot, because you discover the story as you go. It was beautifully written, with a wonderful gothic feel to the narrative, with the dark old house and their world of night.

Mercy lives in the house known as Century with her sister, governess, servant and rarely seen father. It is always winter, and they rise after sunset, and go to sleep before dawn, their 'days' seem to bleed into each other, repetitive and tiring. (But don't worry, this isn't a vampire story.) One day, Mercy begins to question their strange lifestyle, although everyone seems to want to stop her from discovering the truth.

I really liked the main character, Mercy, who was an intelligent and resourceful girl. The story seems to take place around Regency/ Georgian era, but has a wonderful timelessness to it that suits the tale. The house and grounds sounded wonderful, and, though I wanted Mercy to find out the truth, I also thought I wouldn't mind so much being stuck in that house.

It's enjoyable to read a YA book that isn't another romance. This story didn't try to conform to popular writing styles, and I really appreciated that. At just over 200 pages, it was a pretty quick and easy read for me. The writing is easy to read, not too old fashioned for young people, despite the setting, but it also doesn't feel to modern and out of place.

I don't think I need to say any more. I loved this book. If you like gothic stories, or just something a little different than the usual YA novel, give this one a go.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Century.