Rfrancik's Reviews > Frogs

Frogs by Nic Bishop

Nov 14, 2008

bookshelves: 6-non-fiction-books, 1-e

Everything you've ever wanted to know about frogs is detailed in clear text and incredible photographs in this wonderful volume.

The beautiful photographs in this book compel one to read it several times over. The text is aimed at the 4th -7th grade market but the pictures will delight and amaze a much wider audience.

The facts are well laid out and organized in such a way as to help students who are writing reports. It is obvious the photographer loves his subject and his comments about his life and love of frogs are a wonderful edition at the end of the text. I intend to look up this author's other work and order it for our library.

While I found the saturated colors a large part of this book's appeal the colored font on colored paper may be more difficult for some students to read than others.
Reviews:

1) Booklist (January 1, 2008 (Vol. 104, No. 9))says "Dominating the book are Bishop’s remarkably fine color photographs" and recommends this book for 2nd-4th grade. There's quite alot of text for a second grader but every page is a different color with specific subject text.

2) Horn Book (March/April, 2008) recommends Frogs for the Elementary crowd and says, "The text, however, is completely overshadowed by the photographs, which are stunningly crisp, colorful, and beautifully reproduced; it is difficult to stop gazing at them long enough to read more than that highlighted sentence (though those who do will find a fascinating depth of information)".

I find both of these reviews helpful especially Booklists closing comment, "Even libraries with dozens of frog books on the shelf should make room for this eye-catching volume." On the strength of that sentence alone I would probably order this book unseen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frogs.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Evans Really well done.