Michele Miller's Reviews > Matched

Jul 06, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, teenage-wasteland
Recommended for: Futuristic dystopian, YA, young love suckers
Read from July 11 to 12, 2012

First off, you put me in a world where all of my meals are delivered to my family every day hot and fresh and not from the McDonalds drive-thru and I might just agree to any crazy thing you want = Mamas dream!!

What an unexpected read this was! I went into this book totally blind. I had pretty much read the synopsis a while back and then ignored it (so many other books on my plate) until Matched was listed as a BOTM in one of my reading clubs for this month. I jumped in without so much as a glance at a review or discussion board and I'm glad I did.

I love futuristic views of Earth. All of the crazy things that we can think might happen 100 years from now always makes for a great setting to any story. Obviously like so many dystopian books out there right now this plays a tune we have heard before; controlled living environment, love triangle, rebellion. However, I didn't care that I knew the basics because I still wanted to hear the story of Cassia, Xander and Ky.

I liked these characters and the supporting ones. Cassia, so full of hope and honorable to the Society until she gets that glimpse of something she shouldn't see. Here is where the mom in me came out - show any teen something and tell them oops you can't have that and what are they going to do?? Heck, most adults can't resist a good temptation! Xander, the sweet best friend who would do anything for the girl he loves. Ky, the heartbreaking rebel (or is he?) with secrets to tell. Grandpa, whom puts it all in motion with one question "do you ever wonder?". The Society, who controls all you do all for "your" good and they seem to like screwing up a 17yr olds life for no apparent reason than they can.

Matched certainly had that book one feel to it. It is the set-up book that leads you to know the characters and helps turn you against the Society. It was a good starting point for what I assume will be an action packed "rescue mission" fight against big brother, ala Mockingjay, in book two.

I pretty much read this in under 24 hours so that tells you it is a good easy read that I think will have you wanting more. Absolutely original? No. Enjoyable? Why yes, yes it is ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

07/11/2012 page 135
37.0% "I always find ppls ideas of our future society fascinating."
show 2 hidden updates…