Sonya's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Oct 30, 08

Read in October, 2008

This might be my favorite book for 2008. The writing is sharp, the characters funny and smart, and I learned new things about World War II. It was a joy.
Likeflag

Gail Strickland I agree Sonya. I don't usually like to read books that are written in the form of letters to and fro, but this one was a delight.

Sonya It makes me want to read Charring Cross Road; I saw the movie but never read the book. I'm hoping my book group likes Guernsey. We'll see. I have to think of a book to suggest for March and right now am at a loss. No one wants to torture a whole group of women with a book they'll hate or dread. Crap!

Gail Strickland What kind of women are in the group? Maybe I can suggest something you can review. If they're into pain, I'd suggest American Wife-a VERY thinly disguised Laura Bush and that man she married-made me gnash my teeth all the way through. If not, I just finished Wordy Shipmates which I found hilarious. Into dogs? The Art of Racing in the Rain-wisdom from a dog to his master. Let me know ;-)

Sonya Those are good suggestions! I have the audio book of The Wordy Shipmates and have listened to part of it. Vowell is so funny. I think the Laura Bush book might be too on the mark for these ladies, as they are definitely on the conservative side (and I am the closeted liberal. Or, not so closeted now that my man, BO, has won the election.) This group loved Snowflower and the Secret Fan, Through a Glass Darkly (ugh), Peace Like a River, Ursula, Under. I was thinking maybe David Mitchell's Black Swan Green, but my new policy is to read the book first before I suggest anything. My last pick was The Echo Makers and it was a mixed bag and I felt kind of bad for putting them through it, even though there were lots of things to talk about. Is the Art of Racing in the Rain nonfiction or fiction?

Gail Strickland It's fiction, but a lot more than simply a dog's wisdom to his human. I laughed AND cried so be prepared. I know what you mean about the Laura Bush book-it was hard for me not to barf while reading it, since I knew the outcome ;-)

Since you live in Colorado (is that right?) why not try some Southern Fiction? Dorthea Benton Frank writes about the Low County of SC and Cassandra King (Pat Conroy's wife) writes about the south too. For King, I'd suggest The Sunday Wife-at least that's the title I think.