☯Bettie☯'s Reviews > Disgrace

Disgrace by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Feb 01, 15

bookshelves: translation, summer-2012, denmark, paper-read, series, mystery-thriller, one-penny-wonder, published-2008, too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts, recreational-drugs, recreational-homicide, filthy-lucre, gorefest, serial-killer, re-visit-2015, film-only
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Andreas
Read from August 11, 2012 to February 01, 2015, read count: 2

Re-visit Winter 2015 - Film Only

Translated by K E Semmel

Dedicated to the three Graces and iron ladies: Anne, Lene and Charlotte.

Opening: When she ventured down the pedestrian street called Strøget, she was poised as if on the edge of a knife. With her face half covered by a dirty shawl, she slipped passed well-lit shop windows, alert eyes scanning the street.

M has just cracked open #3 in this series as swedish audio file.

FYI - have discovered this is not a series where you can jump in at any point, they need to be read in order.

Gone is the humour from book one, there is ah-but a few lines that will make you smile here. The action is not off-stage and there is reference to a teacher at the boarding school for the rich and privilged who showed 'Clockwork Orange' and 'If...' in the English Culture class. That is the sort of dehumanised violence that is on show in this story.

The translation is, for the most, good, although some of the choppy moments leave one having to rely on intuition; those patches don't hinder the flow of this brutal tale but might leave you feeling a bit miffed.

Riveting reading but not for the faint-hearted. The third book will be available in English language from Penguin in spring 2013 and it looks as if there is a change in translator - Martin Aitken.

M was not so keen on this second book but is thoroughly enjoying #3.

4* Mercy (Afdeling Q #1)
4* Disgrace (Afdeling Q #2)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disgrace.

08/11 page 71
13.0% " After ostrich, a Jägermeister natch!" 1 comment
08/12 page 127
24.0% " This really is a chilling tale"
08/12 page 155
29.0% "It started off as Hogwarts but now it's Lord of the Flies: http://youtu.be/ovEDhFfgdOo"
08/12 page 237
45.0% ""
08/12 page 246
46.0% " Excalibur Hunting Crossbow "
08/13 page 374
71.0% " Rødgrød Med Fløde: http://youtu.be/qQkvqJJvR9U" 3 comments
08/13 page 453
85.0% Rabid red fox ehibiting bizarre behaviour. The virus means the fox loses fear of humans so avoid contact."
02/01 marked as: currently-reading
02/01 marked as: read

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I'll start with the book #1 then, thanks for the advice.

message 2: by Wanda (last edited Aug 12, 2012 07:03AM) (new)

Wanda Here in the States, #1 is known as The Keeper of Lost Causes and #2 will be released under the title of The Absent One.

☯Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I'll start with the book #1 then, thanks for the advice."

Very exciting and extremely dark.
:O)

☯Bettie☯ Wanda wrote: "Here in the States, #1 is known as The Keeper of Lost Causes and #2 will be released under the title of The Absent One."

Thanks Wanda, there must be some sort of copyright thing going on. Jussi is not an author I could recommend to you as these books are full of cruelty concerning animals and children.

:O)

message 5: by Wanda (new)

Wanda That's what I thought too. Thank you for the warning.

☯Bettie☯ Thanks for the 'like' all. It is quite a nightmare of a storyline; not far off horror cateGORY.

:O)

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura This is not my favorite genre of books.

☯Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "This is not my favorite genre of books."

I didn't think so Laura, that's why I am truthful about the content. Would hate to think of you splashing out for a murder mystery and end up with a mild horror.

:O)

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura thanks dear friend.