Dagny's Reviews > The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: 19th-century, french
Read in January, 1997

An enthralling story of love, dastardly deeds, hidden treasure and revenge. This book has it all!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Count of Monte Cristo.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cynthia I have this on audible. If you can believe it I'm now listening to 'treasure island'. Maybe I'll keep searching for treasure and listen to this next.

Karen I'd still like to read this over on 19thCentLit. I know it's very, very long if you read the unabridged version but...

Cynthia I wonder if we could get some buy in among the members? I'm not against reading it there.

Karen It would be worth a shot I say. You never know. Maybe one for those long winter nights.

Cynthia True...winter would be a good time to sneak it in and allow enough time in the schedule.

Is our buddy Bob ever going to play with us again???? You talk to wheedle him....I mean TALK to him.

Karen Bob has a book coming up in August, after my Henry James. Hopefully, he hasn't forgotten. He's been very busy with classes and he just finished writing a new book. Just sent it to the publishers I think he said. I guess that he just hasn't had time to read with us.

Cynthia Oh ok. I think I even read that on FB but had forgotten. I'm glad he's been able to finish it and might have time for our silliness now.

Dagny Cynthia wrote: "I have this on audible. If you can believe it I'm now listening to 'treasure island'. Maybe I'll keep searching for treasure and listen to this next."

If it's unabridged, it will be long!

Dagny Karen and Cynthia, I've been wanting to nominated Monte Cristo for ages at 19th. I keep bringing it up and then saying how long it is and passing on it, lol.

But if you two are up for it, then I'm definitely game. Right now we are only set through September, so it is about time to be thinking of nominations. If both of you are in, then I'll go for it this round. It will take a couple of months.

Dagny Karen wrote: "Bob has a book coming up in August, after my Henry James. . ."

And I am counting heavily on Bob for it too!

Karen Dagny wrote: "Karen and Cynthia, I've been wanting to nominated Monte Cristo for ages at 19th. I keep bringing it up and then saying how long it is and passing on it, lol.

But if you two are up for it, then I'm..."

YOu can count me in, Dagny. My hard copy is abridged but I downloaded the complete version to my Kindle.

Dagny Cool, Karen! I'll let Lisa know we're planning it. It's on her tbr list.

Dagny Oops, it's not on Lisa's tbe list, but her wishlist-1001 books. Still, we can work on her, lol.

message 14: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Dagny wrote: "Oops, it's not on Lisa's tbe list, but her wishlist-1001 books. Still, we can work on her, lol."

*chuckle* It's not hard to twist my arm, I'm in!

Dagny Lisa wrote: *chuckle* It's not hard to twist my arm, I'm in!"

Hooray! This is going to be fun. Cynthia, put that Audible book on hold.

Cynthia Karen check with Bob and see if he's in for after the current schedule ok? If I remember right we'll be finished with the second Dostoevsky in Sept which will get us close to xmas when we could read some lighter things. Or maybe we should smash something lighter between Dos and Dumas? Something short? Count is 1,200+ long. I think I'll listen to the audible AND try and read the book. Karen have you sampled the Gutenberg version? Is it a good translation?

Lisa I'm glad you're in! BTW don't get Karen angry....she's in a hangin mood lately. bwahahahahahahaha

Dagny I asked Lisa if she had any nominations in mind for the next round in case we were working on it while she's on vacation. She send me a great list. As soon as I get organized, I'll send an email to the usual suspects.

Cynthia kewl

Karen Cynthia wrote: "Karen check with Bob and see if he's in for after the current schedule ok? If I remember right we'll be finished with the second Dostoevsky in Sept which will get us close to xmas when we could re..."

OK, I'll check with Bob, if only to remind him his book is coming up in August.

Karen I checked on the English translations and found this:

"The most common English translation was originally published in 1846 by Chapman and Hall. Most unabridged English editions of the novel, including the Modern Library and Oxford World's Classics editions, use this translation, although Penguin Classics published a new translation by Robin Buss in 1996. Buss' translation updated the language, is more accessible to modern readers, and reverted content that was modified in the 1846 translation because of Victorian English social restrictions (for example, references to Eugénie's lesbian traits and behavior) to Dumas' original version. Other English translations of the unabridged work exist, but are rarely seen in print and most borrow from the 1846 anonymous translation."

I don't know if there have been any other translations since the Penguin so unless you have that I guess it's the anonymous one from 1846. I actually downloaded an annotated version for Kindle at Amazon for just 99 cents. I figured some annotation is better than none.

Dagny I have the Robin Buss translation also. I haven't read it yet since the one I originally read was the one at Project Gutenburg.

I've read some other translations by Buss and they always seemed good to me. I like his work.

Karen Good. You can fill us in on all the bits the Victorians didn't like, lol.

message 23: by Henry (new) - added it

Henry Avila Very long but great book,Dagny. I read it a few years ago.

Dagny Henry wrote: "Very long but great book,Dagny. I read it a few years ago."

It is long, Henry. And I've read it three times, if you can imagine for such a lengthy book. But that's how much I love it.

☯Bettie☯ Dastardly deeds abound

Dagny Ha, Bettie. And aren't they fun!

☯Bettie☯ Dagny wrote: "Ha, Bettie. And aren't they fun!"

I shook a fist many a time at many a character, not least our revenge obsessed hero.