Brandi Rae's Reviews > One for the Murphys

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, realistic-fiction, tough-issues
Read in July, 2012

I liked this, but...

It was a wonderful story about a girl named Carley who ends up in foster care living with the Murphys, a family with three boys. The book had well drawn characters and situations. Sad and heartbreaking, I would definitely recommend it and can see early middle schoolers loving this book.

My issues dealt more with the details. The main character was 12 but in 8th grade? It was spring and the Red Sox were still playing, but there were basketball tryouts? The oldest son was "just a little younger than Carley" but in comparison to her seemed a lot younger. Her new best friend in this smallish town didn't know that she was a foster kid and thought that Mrs. Murphy was Carley's mom, even though it was partway through the school year already?

It was stuff like this that kept jumping out at me. Plus I thought that Carley's recollections of the night that led to her being put in foster care should have played a stronger point in the story.

I really wanted to like this book so much more. I loved Carley as a character. It was almost a great book, but regardless, it is a book that still covers an important topic that middle schoolers will want to read.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One for the Murphys.

Tammy What confused me also was that the busboy Carley insulted was in the same grade as her. Don't you have to be 14 to work?

Anne I finished the book earlier this evening and thought I would see what others had to say. I think you are getting too caught up with the details here. After reading your review I did a quick scan of the book to see where they mentioned her only being 12. I hadn't picked up on it and focused more on the fact that she was in the eighth grade which would make her 14 and also solve Tammy's concern about Rainer. The only place I saw her age mentioned, and I admit that I may be wrong here, was on the back cover in the synopsis which was probably not written by the author. The second detail you are concerned with is the fact that the Red Sox are still playing in the spring. The season actually starts in the spring. This year opening day was April 1 against none other than the New York Yankees :) Basketball is no longer strictly a winter sport. There was an article in the local paper this weekend about a local Maine High School aged basketball team playing in the national finals in FL. I completely understand your point when the details are off. It makes me crazy when authors don't do their research, but I think you are being a bit harsh here.

Mrs. Sol Kids do play year-round sports these days. Also, remember that Rainer is working as a busboy at his family's restaurant.