Blanca17's Reviews > Yankee Girl

Yankee Girl by Mary Ann Rodman

F_50x66
Jul 07, 12

It is plausible that my view of this book is biased because I received it in a somewhat emotional state from my 5th grade teacher with a quote inscribed in the cover: "It is what we do not do that is more important than what we do do if we do not follow our hearts."... Or something of that nature, because I can't recall the quote exactly at this given moment. I think during that time when I was burdened with rather heavy questions about morals and personal actions, this book became the guiding light into doing what was right and believing in myself. And the fact that this was all presented in the least cliche way was what appealed to me then, and still does today. The conciseness of the story manages to effectively capture the dynamics of a group of many well-developed characters, a perfect plot line, the temperature of the period, and the growing maturity of Alice, the main character. Part of the beauty of this novel, lies in Alice. She is ideal as the main character, displaying the typical qualities of a pre-teenager of all ages, not just the 60's in which the book is set. Her plainness is a feature that strengthens the story, making it relatable to the reader. My adoration for the book may not be shared as strongly by others, however I can definitely recommend it as a short, but very satisfying and fruitful read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yankee Girl.