Nancy's Reviews > Worried Sick: A Prescription for Health in an Overtreated America

Worried Sick by Nortin M. Hadler

Dec 09, 08

bookshelves: did-not-finish, health, non-fiction
Read in December, 2008

In some ways this is a really good book. Dr. Hadler provides information you don't see in other places about the marginal health benefits we derive from many of the tests and drugs that are recommended to us.

One good point that comes through is that companies who develop a drug desire to find "benefit" such that half the population will "need" the drug. It is a good idea to get on the internet and read about the studies that proved the benefit of any drug prescribed for you. I did that a few years ago with Actonel and was able to learn that the benefits were pretty small for women in my situation so any risk was too much.

However after reading chapter after chapter saying that this or that test or drug barely helps, it occurred to me that most things we do barely help. The average person probably clicks a seatbelt 100,000 times over the course of his or her life with no life saving event. Still it is worth doing. Perhaps not to Dr. Hadler. If so many drugs and tests really aren't even worth considering how come a 50 year old man can expect to live almost 6 years longer than he could in 1970? I really wish he he'd covered that.(I didn't quite finish the book because the library wants it back for another patron. If I missed a section where Dr. Hadler covered additional longivity, let me know.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worried Sick.