Lisa's Reviews > The Flight of Gemma Hardy

The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey

Jul 06, 12

Read in July, 2012

I really, really liked this story and was sad to finish it today. I wanted to stay with the characters of Gemma and Mr. Sinclair, and the rest, just a while longer. Ms. Livesey has invented some wonderful characters, including the two mains but other favorites of mine were Archie and the two lesbian women who take Gemma in at a crucial point in her life, Hallie in Iceland, and Gemma's friend at school, Miriam. They stand out to me because they were so kind to Gemma and show her the way to live a happy life. I felt great sympathy for this young girl who lost so many of the people she loved and really never felt at home anywhere (except Blackbird Hall). Other reviewers here say they don't understand Gemma's choices as she grows up, but I completely understood why she needed to do what she did, and feel it was very much in keeping with this orphan. The writing is excellent, the symbolism of the birds is nice, and the description of the geography of Scotland and Iceland is a highlight. Excellent read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flight of Gemma Hardy.