Ian Nadeau's Reviews > Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours

Positive Intelligence by Shirzad Chamine

5321901
Sep 02, 12

Read from July 06 to September 02, 2012

"Your mind is your best friend. But it is also your worst enemy." - Shirzad Chamine

I would have thought this book to be too new-age-y for my tastes, but it was actually a pretty fascinating / useful look at how our brains can work against us. The rational part of our brain (prefrontal cortex) is certainly our best friend, guiding our growth and success. However, it/we must also contend with the emotional part of the brain (limbic system) which is focused on our survival. Stress, guilt, anger and other factors often will trigger our Survival Brain in the former of the 10 'saboteurs': Judge (by far, the strongest and most significant), Stickler, Pleaser, Hyper-Achiever, Victim, Hyper-Rational, Hyper-Vigilant, Restless, Controller & Avoider.

This book will help you identify your saboteurs (one they are identified, you'll be amazed how often they pop into your head on a given day) and teach you ways the exercise your brain in order to flex the muscle of the rational side (The Sage) and suppress the will of your survival brain (Saboteurs). Very interesting stuff.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Positive Intelligence.