Brittany's Reviews > The Doors of Time

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: woe-is-me, m-m
Read in July, 2012

Warning! Spoilers below!

I have a mixed feelings about The Doors of Time. I liked it up until the 10 year time skip. 18 year old Jensen was so eager to escape his parents and become his own person. I was sad to see he regressed back emotionally and allowed himself to become dependent on his housemate. He didn't even know where they kept the bread in the house- that's pretty sad. Jensen whined about being helpless and yet he didn't take any steps towards making a change. That's what annoyed me the most about the character. He didn't even try to become independent. I had a hard time mustering up sympathy for him.

I had a hard time rooting for the love story. It was arrogant of Jensen to think Jared would wait for him. I think Jensen had a lot nerve getting upset over Jared returning home to his girlfriend. I don't like that Jensen used his magic and his abandonment issues to manipulate Jared. Jensen said he loved Jared, but he didn't seem to care about his happiness. He only seemed to care about his own.

I can't exactly blame Jared for thinking that Jensen was manipulating his emotions. I thought his attraction to Jensen seem to come out of nowhere too. I believed that Jared did love Jensen. I had a hard time believing he was sexually attracted to him though. To say he was attracted to Jensen just because he was Jensen didn't cut it for me. I think I would have been able to buy that explanation if the attraction had been built a little more subtly. This was too in your face and too forced.

I thought the writing for the women in this story was really inconsistent. I had a hard time grasping what kind of person Sandy was. Did she develop into an understanding mature woman? Or was she still that shallow teenager? She seemed to back and forth between supporting Jared's friendship with Jensen and wanting Jared to stop hanging out with the weird kid. Compassionate one minute, judgmental the next. The character was very confusing. Jensen's mom didn't make much sense to me either. I don't understand how she could go from being conflicted about her son to hating him and locking him up in a mental institution. Keep a distance is one thing. Staying away completely is another. While the mom wasn't my favorite character, I didn't think she would be emotionally detach herself from her child so easily. The mother/son relationship didn't have enough layers for me.

There are much better GFY novels out there and ones with best friends falling love *cough* Promises by Marie Sexton *cough*. I wouldn't recommend reading this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doors of Time.