Angela ♥ Mrs. Hollywood ♥'s Reviews > What a Boy Needs

What a Boy Needs by Nyrae Dawn

This was a pleasant surprise! I didn't think I would have liked this book much, but I ended up loving it.

After weening through a pile of crap for the past week I finally found a book that I was able to enjoy.

This book was written in first person from Jaden's point of view. I think the author did an amazing job writing from a boy's perspective.

18 year old Jaden had a rough home life: His mother ditched him for an abusive boyfriend, his father verbally abused and neglected him his whole life, and all he ever wanted was approval and love. The story was heartbreaking. I could easily empathize with Jaden, and feel his pain.

Through all the pain he was going through he still remained strong. He was determined to live his life and take care of himself the best way he could on his own. And in the meantime he had low self-worth. As he was trying to work through his problems, his relationship with the girl he loved progressed. It was difficult for him at first to allow himself to love and be loved because of his low self-esteem. Her family didn't exactly approve of him either. Which only complicated his situation.

Jaden was a sweet and lovable character who would do anything for his friends or for his family. Despite the way his mother treated him he still went out of his way, sacrificing his happiness to help her. Too bad she was too self-centered to realize this.

His girlfriend Priscilla was a bit needy at first. I didn't really like her character. I thought she was whiny and childish. She cried way too much. Later on things changed and she redeemed herself. She was strong for Jaden and she was mature enough to be as supportive of him as he was of her.

I'm glad I found this book. It was a fun, emotional read.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What a Boy Needs.