Rachel's Reviews > The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict

Dec 07, 08

bookshelves: motivational
Recommended to Rachel by: Leslie
Read in December, 2008

The idea that things that we do can feed into problems that we have with others is powerful, especially for people who like control. I really liked the concept that when we perceive others as being wrong, and ourselves as being right, we prevent ourselves from looking at different (and better or more effective) ways of approaching others.

This book has made a difference for good in one of my relationships, and I am grateful for that.

Beyond that, the book is corny. The setting for teaching is a Wilderness Camp for troubled teens. It is owned and operated by a Jew and Muslim who have found the keys to peaceful living and interaction. When parents come and drop their teens off to get their heads and their acts together, the parents also have a two day emotional issues boot camp, learning how things that they think and do may be as much a part of the problem as the various illegal and destructive things their teens are doing.

The ideas are useful, but the method of teaching feels completely artificial. I like self-help books that just lay out the plan, rather than using some silly narrative style to show me "Here is what you should be thinking and feeling at this point."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anatomy of Peace.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leslie This book changed me. It is painful to read, but I learned so much about myself, most of it not so pretty things.