Sheila's Reviews > Shaman, Healer, Heretic

Shaman, Healer, Heretic by M. Terry Green

2039269
Jul 06, 2012

bookshelves: cultural, current_issues, mystery, paranormal, relationships, spiritual, suspense
Read in July, 2012

A novel that springs to life right from the start, M. Terry Green’s Shaman, Healer, Heretic introduces the idea of a techno-shaman using technology rather than drugs to access the mysterious worlds of Native American mythology. The author resists any urge to over-explain, bringing readers up to speed through the protagonist’s very natural thoughts about her rather curious healing profession. A former medical student, Livvy uses her shamanic skills to rescue lost souls and care for those whose ailments can’t be addressed by modern medicine. And she does it all very convincingly.

But a kachina appearing in her bedroom isn’t meant to happen. Soon other things are invading the middleworld and breaking bonds in the underworld. Life on the edge seems almost ready to tip over the edge. And Livvy, led by the curious kachina, might just be a shaman’s only hope.

Fast-paced, brightly up-to-date with nicely interwoven mythology and a genuine touch of modern medicine too, the story pulls readers into Livvy’s heresy, brings fascinatingly different shamanic characters together on a common quest, and tells a pleasingly complete story in a world that’s perfectly prepared to uphold a series.

I enjoyed the author’s willingness not to tell everything—enough to keep the reader intrigued, to respect the reader’s intelligence, and to leave scope for further tales. How did Livvy end up as a shaman? How did shamans end up using technology? How do different views of the otherworlds combine? Ah, there’s so much still to learn and I know I shall enjoy reading more.

Disclosure: I received a free ecopy of this novel from the author in exchange for my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shaman, Healer, Heretic.