Tracy's Reviews > The Girl Who Owned a City

The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson

Nov 12, 12

bookshelves: read-it-and-was-okay
Read from July 06 to 08, 2012

We are plunked down into Lisa Nelson's life in a world where all the adults have died off because of a virus. Only kids are around and are responsible for everything...everything. And that's how it all begins, we, the reader, are eavesdropping in Lisa's life. Because we are dropped in, we get no background story on Lisa and her strength or Lisa and how she relates to the other kids...nothing and for me, that's okay.

I read because I want to escape the problems I'm having in my life: babysitters, jobs,paying bills...I just want to escape into a world or a place where these things are not a big deal. This book helped me to escape because of how it's written. Now, some people will say that there's not much background, but it's not needed. We walk in, join Lisa in her attempt to look for food, gather kids to form an army and live safely. It's like don't worry about tomorrow, let's just live for now and the moment.

We read about Lisa using her brain and chiding those who do not. I have to say, for once, it was refreshing to see a woman/ girl in charge and doing everything in a logical manner. An example of this would be when she figures out where the most food would be located, or not going and grabbing all the candy out of the grocery store. (For that logic, see Michael Grant's Fear Series-it's not a slight, it's just what happens)

That said, the book leaves a wide open hole for a sequel. It ends with hope for Lisa and her city, even if it is only for the day. I liked the drawing, the realism of gang threats and what really would happen if only children ran the world. Since I have theorized that this book is basically a day in the life of kind of thing, I won't stretch this out any further. I can only hope there is a sequel that gives us some back story or insight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Owned a City.

07/06/2012 page 99
79.0% "It's like walking dead-zombies+kids (-adults)"