Sophia Jones's Reviews > Freaks and Revelations

Freaks and Revelations by Davida Wills Hurwin

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, ya
Read in July, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is not a happy book. If you are looking for a cheery book skip right over this one.
This was a good book. I liked the alternating points of view and how fast paced it was. I didn't expect however the "N" word to be in there. I guess I should have known what I was getting myself into when the back of the book mentioned Neo-Nazis.
The back didn't mention prostitution however, which there is quite a lot later on.
I actually liked how the climax of the story was closer to the end of the book. But I wasn't satisfied enough with the ending *SPOILERS!* I didn't know some things- like what happened to Doug's kids (or how much he had really changed). *END SPOILERS*
With both characters, Doug and Jason you could tell from the very first chapter they were headed down the wrong path. Doug was abused at home and Jason had an ultra-religious mom (actually that's not revealed until a little ways in.).
A thought provoking but not totally satisfying read. What's most amazing about it is the fact it's based off of real events.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freaks and Revelations.