Tasha's Reviews > Spellcaster

Spellcaster by Claudia Gray

May 30, 13

Read from May 19 to 30, 2013

I want to shed a tear! Although I love the author, I feel that I was incredibly generous in rating 3 stars. I absolutely love Claudia Gray; ever since her Evernight series books, I've been dying to read another creation from her magical & imaginative brain.

Although the story line isn't truly horrific and the plot has its strong points, I just can't help feeling a little disappointed in the execution of the story.

Major Problem #1: The characters are a bit underdeveloped and there are some strange occurrences in the story. I'm almost absolutely positive that at least once while reading the story, you'll find yourself saying, "Wait, what?!?!"

Major Problem #2: I'm not sure if she's done her research on witches (or maybe I'm just biased from reading Cate Tiernan's AMAZING depiction of witches in Sweep). Either way, I'm pretty sure that it takes more than simply recalling memories to preform a spell. Maybe Claudia wanted to try something different in terms of witches? Quite possibly...but still, it's a little frustrating nonetheless.

All in all, I feel that Spellcaster is a brilliant story idea that was unfortunately not entirely thought through. Though I enjoyed reading something different from the author, I really hope that she takes the necessary time to make all her ideas come together smoothly when writing Spellcaster #2. Because there will be a Spellcaster #2. Trust me, with the cliffhanger ending, there will undoubtedly be a #2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellcaster.

05/19/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/21/2013 page 201
54.0% "Oh so enticing!!!"
05/30/2013 marked as: read