Jilly's Reviews > The Nymph King

The Nymph King by Gena Showalter

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in April, 2009

What can I say about this book except that it is the best one yet. I love it when a series gets better as it goes along and this is definitely the case here.

This series was recommended by a friend on a yahoo book group. So I tried it. I was definitely intrigued by the first two books though admittedly not super impressed. I had never read anything by the author but was willing to continue with the series. I'm so glad I did.

The Nymph King is the best of the series yet. Valerian oozes sexual allure and passions, and has no problem going to any woman's bed. Then he allows his men to go from Atlantis to the surface and world of humans only to come face to face with his mate, the only woman he will ever want after seeing her.

Shaye is a cynical woman who keeps people at bay with her quick wit and biting comments. And now she's being carried into the ocean by some huge man that radiates naughty thoughts.

Valerian is a great hero for the story. He doesn't hide any "faults" Shaye points out and is refreshingly opened and honest about all manner of things. He also rarely backs down. He wants Shaye and he won't stop til he gets what he wants; even if it means the death of his cousin.

Shaye is a great character. So many times the heroine of the story is pathetic and weak and lacks all sense of humor but Shaye's got it in spades which is part of her problem. She's one of those people that can't fathom letting someone close enough to break her heart and Valerian's promiscuous ways aren't coming near her, until she realizes what he means by mate.

Another great addition to the story is there is technically more than one hero and heroine. Joachim and Brenna are a great pair that quickly became equally as interesting as Valerian and Shaye.

Joachim watches as another warrior picks Brenna for his bed-mate (against her will) and seethes with anger. He wanted her and because he doesn't get her he plans on challenging Valerian for Shaye just to make his cousin suffer with him. Joachim isn't a match for Valerian and ends up injured which brings Brenna to his side as she's a doctor.

Brenna is terrified of these men. She's been attacked before and just wants to go home. Brenna is saved from the warrior who chose her because Shaye demands that any unwilling woman be left alone. Only problem is that the warrior who picked Brenna follows her everywhere and now her patient has her wondering if she wants to go home or not. As it turns out, Brenna is Joachim's mate and he will do anything to gain her broken trust.

I love Brenna and Joachim and Valerian and Shaye are great too. We also get a little insight into Layel who the next book is about. I think this series is getting better and this book is well worth it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nymph King.