Kameka's Reviews > The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life

The Bell Curve by Richard J. Herrnstein

Oct 26, 2008

liked it
Read in February, 2004 , read count: Once

This book had so much controversy when it came out, I decided that I should read it. Well I finally did and as I had expected, it made me incredibly mad. I think this book was well-written by people who demonstrate why statistics can be dangerous. Further, statistics are even more dangerous when reasonably intelligent people are able to manipulate data to tell a story that they deem worth telling in order to prove a ridiculous point. This book would seem to have a fair amount of authority given the backgrounds of the authors. However, anyone with any scruples could easily pick apart the data they present and argue against why their thesis has many flaws. This is the kind of book that I think people should read in order to understand what ridiculous points of view still exist. What I appreciate about this book is its "in your face" and unapologetic statements about intelligence and race. It is far easier to deal with the enemy you know rather than the enemy you don't know!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bell Curve.